Monday, July 20, 2009

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith - May 2005

Like "The Phantom Menace" and "Attack of the Clones," "Revenge of the Sith" is a highly uneven production, with slick visuals, stilted dialog, geeky doublespeak, a laughable plot and more action than a person can process in one sitting. Of course I’ll have to see it again. I’ll sit in slack jawed amazement at some scenes and I’ll wince at others, especially when I hear three different characters use the word “Younglings” in different scenes, each with a straight face.

I was notably disappointed that the transformation of Anakin into Darth Vader occurs at the very end, almost like an afterthought. We get the unveiling of the Man in the Mask, then the movie ends. I feel a little used.

Philosophically, I find it odd that after 28 years, six movies and a nauseating number of light saber battles, we can sum up the entire Star Wars saga with five words: It was about a girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment