Monday, July 20, 2009

Punch Drunk Love - December 2002

Recommended

I’m a little conflicted by "Punch Drunk Love." Director Paul Thomas Anderson’s quirky style is usually a good thing, as in "Boogie Nights" and "Magnolia," but here it got a bit distracting. It’s Adam Sandler’s first attempt at a non-comedy role, and while he’s up to the task, I half expected him to break into Opera Man at some point. I wasn’t exactly bowled over by the movie until about half-way through, when I noticed I was feeling what Sandler’s character was feeling. That’s pretty rare. The story is a bit weak, but Sandler and Emily Watson are very good. I’ll have to see it again at the discount theater.

By the way, Sandler plays a guy named Egan. You don’t see that every day. Well, I do, but you know what I mean.

[2009: That Egan joke still tickles me after all these years. I never did make it to the discount theater to see it again, but I have "Punch Drunk Love" in my Netflix queue right now. I'm curious to see how this movie holds up. I'll bet it's pretty well.]

No comments:

Post a Comment