Monday, July 20, 2009

Terminator 3: The Rise of the Machines - July 2003

Recommended

You get a sense of déjà vu while watching T3, and, normally, that’s a bad thing in a movie. In the case of "Terminator 3," however, it’s like riding a roller coaster for the third time – it may not surprise you, but it can still thrill you.

"Terminator 3" gives us the same basic story as its predecessors and uses no better effects than T2. In fact, T2 was the most expensive movie ever made, at the time, and looked it. T3 was not a terribly expensive movie by today’s standards and looks a little cheap by comparison, which is not all bad. At a quick 90 minutes, T3 moves along pretty fast, which is a wonderful thing.

One big complaint: the Terminator’s catch phrases. In "The Terminator," it was “I’ll be back.” In "Terminator 2," it was “Hasta la vista, baby.” In "Terminator 3," it’s “Talk to the hand.” They could have done much better.

[2009: I recommended this piece of bat guano? Oh, Claire Danes, you are my kryptonite.

2010: I found my hard copies of the published newsletter,.  The last sentence of  this review, as printed, became, "Did they even try?"  I don't think they did.  And I, after seven years now, still can't believe I receommended T3.  It's crap.  Still love Claire Danes, though.]

No comments:

Post a Comment