Monday, July 20, 2009

Ella Enchanted - April 2004

Recommended

I can picture how "Ella Enchanted" was green lighted: A studio executive walked out of "Shrek" and said “We have to do a live action fairy tale.” From such hypothetically dubious beginnings, a wonderful movie was made.

"Ella Enchanted" is a riff on Cinderella and a few other fairy tales but is original in the telling of the story. A fairy godmother gives a girl a gift that backfires. As an adult, Ella travels the kingdom to remove her “curse,” meets a charming prince and rights all kinds of wrongs.

As hokey as it may sound, "Ella Enchanted" is just plain fun. Although it might be aimed at children, I consider it a movie for adults. I think I was laughing more than the 8-year old in the row ahead of me. And how can you not like a movie narrated by Eric Idle?

No comments:

Post a Comment