Monday, July 20, 2009

The Day After Tomorrow - June 2004

[2009: This movie received a lot of hype when it was released. The hype was less about the movie than the global warming debate. I referred to the media furor in my review.]

By now, you must certainly know that "The Day After Tomorrow" is a cautionary tale of sudden global climate change. You must also have heard that the movie works very well as a thriller and that is also my opinion.

Before I saw "The Day After Tomorrow," I read an article in Popular Science. They screened the movie for scientists who proclaimed it pretty good, both as science and as entertainment. Global warming, whether caused by human intervention or not, could melt the polar ice caps, which could stop the conveyor currents that warm the seas in the higher latitudes. That could cause rapid cooling and increase glaciation. Of course, the scientists say, rapid in real life means decades, not days. Well, it wouldn't be much of a movie if the countdown to calamity was measured in years instead of minutes.

And "The Day After Tomorrow" is clearly science fiction - it shows a grey-haired vice president admitting he was wrong on national TV. Gives me chills.

[2009: I really didn't want to include the phrase "whether caused by human intervention or not" but I was publishing in a company newsletter and had to be politic. Here however, I am allowed to say, OF COURSE HUMANS ARE CONTRIBUTING TO GLOBAL WARMING. ARE YOU NUTS?]

No comments:

Post a Comment