Saturday, May 1, 2010

Sabrina the Teenage Witch (4 seasons, 97 episodes, 1996-2000)

Back in the day, I gave a lot of shows a chance.  Sabrina the Teenage Witch was one I didn't think would hook me but it did.  The first episode was so well written and constructed, I just had to keep watching.  Many of the first season's episodes were unbelievably funny.  I developed a Sabrina habit, looking forward to Fridays, when I could see what new zany misadventures the teenage witch and her aunts would get into.

So, the show has been off the air for a few years.  The first six seasons are available on DVD.  I started a Sabrina watchathon.

Oh
My
Goodness.

When they talk about shows that don't hold up well, Sabrina is now the prime example.  What was cute and funny 14 years ago is now cliched and stale.  There were still some good moments and even good episodes, but most of the episodes were kind of painful.  Ironically, the special effects still look good although you would expect today's CGI to be a quantum level better.  No, it's just that time has passed this show by.

I lost my enthusiasm midway through the second season. After cringing too many times, I made a strategic decision.  Sabrina jumped networks after the fourth season, moving from ABC to WB.  Back in 2000, I noticed a distinct difference in quality but was apparently in denial, trying to recapture the feeling the first episode gave me (I was an addict! They hooked me! The first episode was free).  I decided to stop watching after the end of the fourth season, even though more were available.  I don't think I could take it if the episodes from the 5th, 6th and 7th seasons were as bad as I vaguely remember them.

It's kind of sad, remembering how much I enjoyed Sabrina back in the day and knowing I can't get that feeling back.  I'm told that's sometimes what marriage is like.

No comments:

Post a Comment