Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Movie: Twelve Rounds

I won't be seeing the movie "Twelve Rounds." I saw the preview for it this evening and they gave away the ending. For a lot of movies, it doesn't matter that you know how it ends. However, if that movie is a suspense thriller, you are supposed to be held IN SUSPENSE. How can there be suspense if you know the ending? That makes it NOT A THRILLER.

There was also the deja vu factor. I was in the theater for "Taken." From what I gleaned from the previews (I obviously hadn't seen the movie at the time), "Taken" was about a special forces verteran whose daughter was, well, taken. At one point, the father is on the phone with the kidnapper and says, blah blah, "I will find you and kill you." The kidnapper says, "Good luck."

In the preview for "Twelve Rounds," a cop's wife is kidnapped. At one point, the cop is on the phone with the kidnapper and says, blah blah, "I will find you and kill you." The kidnapper says, "Game on" or something like that. Probably a coincidence but the first movie to use the technique gets to call itself innovative. The second one gets called derivitive.

Back to why I won't bother with "Twelve Rounds." It violates one of my rules. If they're stupid enough to give away the ending in the preview, don't encourage them by giving them ticket money.

No comments:

Post a Comment