Saturday, April 24, 2010

She's Out of My League

I saw She's Out of My League a month ago.  It's already in dollar theaters and will be out on DVD soon, no doubt.  I wanted to live in the first third of She's Out of My League.  It was a warm, funny, genuine romantic comedy with plenty of laugh-out-loud moments and several running gags.

Then it turned blue, with cringeworthy body-function jokes.  That is the way of comedy movies these days and maybe I'm becoming an old fogie, but I can live without the American Pie-ization of comedies.  Nonetheless, the chemistry of the leads and the predictable path of the story was heartwarming, occasional grossness notwithstanding.

The ending brought the magic back and turned the experience positive once again.  I recommend She's Out of My League for home viewing, especially if you're not afraid to fast-forward or look away here and there.

The she in She's Out of My League is played by Alice Eve, daughter of British actor Trevor Eve, who also plays her father in the film.  She's perfect for the role, mostly because she's basically perfect, but her English accent peeks through once in a while.  I expect to see more of her in lead roles in the near future.

Alice's business partner and best friend is played by Krysten Ritter, who steals every scene she's in.  Krysten, with pale skin, big doe eyes and a potty mouth provides necessary humor at a time when the leads are off falling for each other.  Krysten came into my sphere with recurring roles in Veronica Mars and Gilmore Girls.  Lindsay Sloane has a thankless role as the guy's jealous ex.  She has to be anti-hot, but those of us who remember her as Sabrina the Teenage Witch's best friend or as Big Red in Bring It On know she was acting.  Acting quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment