Monday, March 1, 2010

When in Rome

The original pitch for When in Rome must have been dynamite, because it had a big budget, great cast and looks fabulous (the lead character works at the Guggenheim, for pete's sake!) but something happened.  We'll call it meddling.  It may not have been meddling, but we'll call it that.  When in Rome is a beautiful disaster.  And in that chaos, there is a goofy charm.  Some people may judge it more harshly, but by turning off my brain as soon as I realized I was watching a train wreck in progress, I enjoyed it a lot.

Kristen Bell and Josh Duhamel, two beautiful people straight from central casting, start a romance in Rome, where she picks up coins from a magical fountain.  All the guys who tossed in the coins fall madly in love with her and begin wooing.  That four of the five live in New York is just one indication of how goofy it gets.  I, personally, would have liked at least one of the coins to have belonged to a woman but...

I hesitate to call When in Rome a romantic comedy, but if you're in the mood for a romantic goof-fest, give it a try.  Rent, don't buy.

1:26

No comments:

Post a Comment